- Basmati Rice (Or special Biryani rice) 2 cups
- Chicken 1.2kg mixture (Can use different meat)
- Red onions (2 for biryani) (1 for garnish)
- Ginger garlic paste (2 table spoons)
- Green chilli (2 whole)
- Cardamom 2, Cloves 3, Cinnamon 1 small stick, Star anise 1, 1 bay leaf
- Mint (1 Sprig) and coriander leaves (Handful)
- Biryani Masala (2 tea spoon)
- Turmeric powder (1-1 1/2 tea spoon)
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder (2/3 tea spoons)
- Greek yogurt (2/3 table spoons)
- Ripe Tomatoes (2 Vine Tomatoes)
- Cashew Nuts (Small handful)
- Raisins (Small Handful)
- Saffron (0.5g) (Soak in warm milk [half cup], then pour milk onto biryani)
- Pineapple Pieces (4 Rings, cut into small cubes)
- Almonds/ Cashew nuts (Half handful soaked then ground into smooth paste with little water)
- Marinate the chicken with half measures of masala mix, KRC powder, turmeric powder, salt and all of the yogurt.
- Heat up ghee/ oil, cut 1 red onion into thin slices and fry and set aside.
- In same oil fry raisins and cashew nuts (Lower heat, till golden brown)
- Chop mint and coriander.
- Chop 2 red onions, both green chillis and all tomatoes
Method: Rice (Wash, soak then drain ~10mins)
- Put 1 tea spoon of butter/ghee in pan and melt
- Add Cardamom 2, Cloves 3, Cinnamon 1 small stick, Star anise 1, 1 bay leaf and stir
- Add rice and fry slightly
- Add lot of boiling water (for 2 cups rice, you can add half of the vessel with hot water. Always water should be above the level of rice)
- Add salt and feel the taste.
- Cover with lid and on a medium heat cook rice. Keep checking on it
- When its ¾ done or almost cooked then add ½ of a lemon’s juice, mix it and drain the rice it and keep the rice aside.
1. In a hot pan, add 2 table soon of oil, and once it is hot then add chopped onion, green chillies, ginger garlic paste one by one. Sauté it until it’s all well done (for ex.in 5 minutes on medium flame)
2. Add rest of garam masala, turmeric powder, KRC powder and mix well.
3. Add some salt.
4. Add tomatoes and cook well
5. Add almond-cashew paste, cook for few minutes so that the raw taste of the paste goes
6. Add marinated chicken into it, add ½ of chopped coriander and mint leaves
7. Cook well on medium heat. If pressure cooking then 2 -3 whistles.
1. On a buttered pan, make a layer of rice at bottom, now sprinkle saffron mix, then add a layer of chicken, again rice until all finishes.
2. Cover the pan with aluminium foil and in a preheated oven bake it for 20 minutes (150 degrees) for 20 minutes.
3. Now you can garnish the biryani with chopped coriander leaves, fried cashew nuts and raisins.
Sit back, relax and enjoy Sujith’s special biryani