Cool puttu or Idiyappam are popular South Indian breakfast dish made of very few ingredients like rice flour and water.
- 1.5 cups Roasted rice flour
- 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 cupsBoiling water
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup Grated coconut
- Combine salt and roasted rice flour. Add boiling water gradually and using a wooden spatula mix the dough. Add water till the dough comes together. Using your hands, knead together until you get a smooth and soft dough. The dough should not be too tight and it should not be sticky also.
- Grease the top and bottom of idli moulds . Sprinkle the grated coconut on these moulds.Take small portions of dough and press each portion through Idiyappam presser onto greased idli moulds or banana leaves.
- Once the water starts boiling in the steamer, place the idli moulds and steam for 7-9 mins on medium – high flame. Keep the steamed closed for a min or two. Transfer the cooked Idiyappam to a serving plate. Serve hot with any curry of your choice.